Applying for Registration
In order to register as either a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech), you need to:
- hold the appropriate grade of RAeS membership
- satisfy both academic and competence requirements defined by the Engineering Council
- complete the appropriate application form for registration (and/or membership) as below:
- attend a Professional Review Interview (PRI) (normally not required for EngTech applicants. Click on Professional Review and Interview for possible interview dates and locations.
* Please note: The Society will continue to accept until the end of 2014 applications made on the 2010 versions of the Qualifying Report Forms for CEng, IEng and EngTech if accompanied by the Application to Join the RAeS (version 07/2010). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of this Application Form.
For examples of completed Application Forms for Registration please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Step-by-Step Guide to Registration
A Step-by-Step Guide to Registration with information on the process and the requirements for registration (including the academic requirements) is given in Appendix B of the Registration Handbook Appendices for Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech).
UK-SPEC (3rd edition)
Changes to the competence requirements for Chartered and Incorporated Engineers and Engineering Technicians were published by the Engineering Council in January 2014 in its document UK-SPEC (3rd edition). Click to see UK-SPEC 3rd edition.
The Society will be implementing those changes as follows:
- Revised application forms will be available on the RAeS website from 1st August 2014 for immediate use
- Applications based on UK-SPEC (2nd edition) will be accepted (together with UK-SPEC 3rd edition applications) up to the August 2015 closing date for applications
- All professional reviews will be conducted in line with UK-SPEC 3rd edition from 1st November 2015
Military and MoD Civilian Applicants
For specific guidance on the Military and MoD Civilian Routes to registration please click on Military Engineers.
Click here for specific Guidance Notes for Academic Applicants.
Links to exemplar completed Application Form Qualifying Reports and Technical Tasks
Please note: if you allow your membership and registration to lapse for 3 years or more it will be necessary to reapply, in compliance with Engineering Council requirements.
Mentoring for Registration
If you have a mentor or would like guidance on mentoring for registration, please click here for Guidance on Mentoring for Registration.