150th Anniversary of the RAeS in 2016
The Royal Aeronautical Society was formed in 1866, so 2016 brought the Society’s 150th anniversary – our sesquicentennial.
We have celebrated the formation of the Society by looking back 150 years and forward up to 50 years with a theme of ‘innovative firsts’ in aerospace. The objectives for our celebration programme were:
• Stimulate innovative ideas for the next 50 years
• Inspire young people about past and future aerospace achievement
• Celebrate the contribution aerospace makes to advancing progress
• Raise the profile of the Society globally, and to increase membership
• Leave a legacy recording achievements and future opportunities that will be valued afterwards
The Society is honoured that His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales has been our Honorary President for the 150th anniversary year and offered us this message broadcast at the 2016 Wilbur & Orville Wright Named Lecture:
We would like to thank all our sponsors of the anniversary activities: Airbus, AlixPartners, BAE Systems, Boeing, GKN Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Qatar Airways, QinetiQ, Raytheon, Rolls-Royce, Thales, University of Southampton, UTC Aerospace Systems, Volga Dnepr.