CEng is an international recognised level of professional registration for Engineers. It is a formal recognition of your engineering skills and competence.
Why Become a Chartered Engineer?
- Recognition of expertise, knowledge and professional commitment
- Demonstrate your engineering skills, competence and expertise
- Increase your exposure to new career opportunities
- Credibility with peers, employer, customers and suppliers
- Internally recognised qualification
If you are seeking to become a Chartered Engineer you will need to demonstrate your ability to meet competences described in the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC.
- The theoretical knowledge to solve problems in new technologies and develop new analytical techniques
- Successful application of the knowledge to deliver innovative products and services and/or take technical responsibility for complex engineering systems
- Accountability for project, finance and personnel management and managing trade-offs between technical and socio-economic factors
- Skill sets necessary to develop other technical staff
- Effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters.
- develop new or existing technology?
- problem solve?
- make a key contribution to your business’ success, through innovation, creativity and change?
- promote advanced designs or design methods?
- develop better production techniques, marketing or construction concepts?
- pioneer technology or engineering services and management methods?
To apply for CEng, you will need to:
- demonstrate that you meet the competences set out in the UK-SPEC
- hold or apply for the appropriate grade of RAeS membership (Member (MRAeS) or above)
- Meet the academic requirements as set out in UK SPEC or demonstrate equivalent level of learning
Applying for CEng
Applications for registration (and/or membership) can be made online by clicking on Apply Now.
Before you can start an online application, you will be asked to sign in to the website. If you do not already have a user name and password you will be prompted to create an online account.
We request that you include the following as part of your application pack:
- Development Action Plan (career goals)
- Qualifying Report Form
- Account of a Technical Task
- copies of certificates of any qualifications (if applicable)
If you would like to speak to someone about Chartered Engineer, please contact: email@example.com or +44 (0) 20 7670 4323/320.
For guidance and to help get you started with your application, please see below for our Registration Handbook and Appendices, Step-by-Step Guide and exemplar applications.
Fees for 2018
Registration Application Fee (non-refundable) - £100.00
Entry Fee - £50.70
*NB. Due at time of approval of registration and Entry Fee includes the first years' registration fee
2018 Registration (Renewal) Fee - £39.00
2018 Baseline Registration Fee - £17.60**
A registrant may be reinstated within three years of lapsing, but will be required to pay an administrative fee. If the registration has lapsed for more than three years, the individual must reapply to one of the institutions and will be subject to a full professional review.
Already Registered with another institution?
You can request to transfer your CEng, IEng, EngTech professional registration from another UK engineering institution to the RAeS. In order to transfer your registration, you must be a member of the RAeS. If you are not already a member, find out more on how to apply at here. Once you have joined the RAeS at the appropriate level of membership, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be able to transfer your registration for you. You will need to ensure that your Engineering Council subscription payments are up to date. We do not charge a transfer fee to switch your Professional Registration to the RAeS.