Applying for Registration

In order to register as either a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech), applicants need to:

  • hold the appropriate grade of RAeS membership (See Table Below)
  • satisfy both academic and competence requirements defined by the Engineering Council
  • attend a Professional Review Interview (PRI) (normally not required for EngTech applicants. Click on Professional Review and Interview for possible interview dates and locations.

Applications for registration (and/or membership) can be made online by clicking on Apply Now 

For examples of completed Application Forms for Registration please see the Categories of Registration pages. 

Closing dates to receive applications for 2018

  • 11 September 2018 (Registration Committee meets 16 October)
  • 27 November 2018 (Registration Committee TBC)


Registration Application Fee (non-refundable)

CEng - £100.00
IEng - £100.00
Eng Tech - £30.00
Interim/Stage 1 (CEng, IEng) - N/A

Engineering Council Fees - Due once registration is approved

Entry Fee

CEng - £50.70
IEng - £42.80
Eng Tech - £17.50
Interim/Stage 1 (CEng, IEng) - £10.40

*NB. the Registration Entry Fee includes the first years' registration fee

2017 Registration Fee

CEng - £39.00
IEng - £33.00
Eng Tech - £19.00
Interim/Stage 1 (CEng, IEng) - £13.90

2017 Baseline Registration Fee 

CEng - £17.60
IEng - £14.70
Eng Tech - £8.40

*All members who have or will be reaching normal retirement age in 2018 are entitled to pay subscriptions at the Baseline Rate.

Lapsed Registration

A registrant may be reinstated within three years of lapsing, but will be required to pay an administrative fee. If the registration has lapsed for more than three years, the individual must reapply and will be subject to a full professional review.

Already Registered with another institution?

You can request to transfer your CEng, IEng, EngTech professional registration from another UK engineering institution to the RAeS. In order to transfer your registration, you must be a member of the RAeS. If you are not already a member, find out more on how to apply at here. Once you have joined the RAeS at the appropriate level of membership, contact us at and we will be able to transfer your registration for you. You will need to ensure that your Engineering Council subscription payments are up to date. We do not charge a transfer fee to switch your Professional Registration to the RAeS.