Military Route to Registration

Are you an Engineer or Technician working within the Armed Forces? - Apply now for professional registration

As a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), we can help you to become registered with the Engineering Council and get the recognition you deserve.

The RAeS is a licensed body of the Engineering Council, accredited to award the professional qualifications of Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech).

For more details on the application process, download the guidance documents on the right hand side.

Applications for professional registration (and/or membership) can now be made online by clicking on Apply Now.

Alternatively, paper application forms are still being accepted and can be downloaded on the right-hand side of this page. 

Get the recognition you deserve

Professional registration will ensure you are recognised and rewarded in a highly competitive environment so join the Society today to continue developing your engineering career within the Armed Forces and beyond.

Membership of the Royal Aeronautical Society brings with it many benefits:

  • Demonstrate your skills, experience and expertise through the use of post nominal letters after your name (ARAeS, AMRAeS, MRAeS, FRAeS)
  • The opportunity to register with the Engineering Council as an EngTech, IEng or CEng engineer
  • Keep up-to-date on the latest Society, technical and industry news through your complimentary magazine - AEROSPACE
  • Great networking opportunities for personal and career development
  • Career advice and development from our Careers & Education Centre
  • Structured record keeping of your continued professional development (CPD) through the use of mycareerpath
  • Increased knowledge sharing through our Specialist Groups
  • Preferential rates for conferences and Society events
  • Access to the Society’s Medals and Awards, Bursaries, and Scholarships

Professional Registration

Registration is open to all engineering professionals who can demonstrate competence to perform professional work to the necessary standards. Once you have been granted professional registration you will remain on the Engineering Council register providing you maintain your membership of the Society.

We work closely with the Armed Forces as an active member of the Professional Engineering Institutions’ Armed Forces Committee and therefore are pleased to provide a streamlined route for Military personnel and MOD civilian.

We know that as an engineer working within the Armed Forces, civilian employers may not always recognise or understand your military experience. Becoming professionally registered at EngTech, IEng or CEng level demonstrates you have achieved high level skills and competencies and are committed to your career as a professional engineer. Registration is also beneficial to members employed outside the UK as it is recognised internationally so see Appendix B of the Registration Handbook Appendices for our step by step guide and apply now for professional registration.

For more details on the application process, download the guidance documents and Qualifying Report forms listed below.