The Royal Aeronautical Society, in partnership with Boeing, is pleased to announce the launch of The Falcon Initiative, an innovative project that aims to inspire and motivate 13-18 year-olds by providing them with an opportunity to engage with a practical, fun and educationally-relevant engineering and business project. Importantly, this project will enable students to experience the practical application of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) subjects in a real world context.
The Falcon Initiative will provide funding to selected schools to enable them to build a fully functional Flight Simulator. Through engagement with a targeted activity which relates directly to the current National Curriculum, the project aims to inspire students to pursue the further study of STEM subjects. Boeing and the Royal Aeronautical Society are keen to ensure that The Falcon Initiative covers a broad cross-section of young people including girls and other under-represented groups, demonstrating that aviation is available to all parts of the community.
Following the success of the Schools Build-a-Plane Challenge, the programme is to be funded by Boeing. Alongside showcasing their work to others, this project will therefore provide participating schools with a fantastic opportunity to work closely with the Royal Aeronautical Society and Boeing, the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners, and defence, space and security systems.
Key Programme Information:
- The launch date for school applications is April 2015.
- Applications from schools to participate in the project must be received by the Royal Aeronautical Society by 13th July 2015.
- The 10 applicants to be awarded will be individually informed of the results of the selection process by 14th September 2015.
- The Falcon Initiative will provide the 10 schools selected to build prototype flight simulators with £500 funding.
- Prototype simulators are to be completed by July 2016.
- Two schools will then be selected for fully-funded simulator builds to begin in September 2016 and to be completed by July 2017.
Please find The Falcon Initiative Guideline Document, Application Form and leaflet below:
We hope that your school is able to consider participating in this exciting project that will provide your students with a unique and exciting set of challenges and opportunities.
If you have any questions regarding your application or The Falcon Initiative, please do not hesitate to contact the Royal Aeronautical Society at email@example.com.